Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Different kind of classroom

I've been looking forward to second semester at school for one reason. Placement.

I got lucky and was placed at the child care center near my house. For this semester, I work with the pre-school/kindergartens. Most of the kids are 3 years old but we do have the occasional 2.5 year old and 5 year old.

It's so nice to be out my regular university classroom and stepping into a little kid classroom.

Tuesday was my first day and surprisingly, I wasn't nervous. So eager to start and to learn hands on with kids. It's great to learn the theory from the textbook but in real life I won't have the time to crack open my textbooks and re-learn how to deal with a children. Know what I mean?

The guy (we need more males in early childhood education) I "shadow" is so great with the kids. He has that balance of being sweet to the kids but he also can raise his voice and discipline the children if needed.

My favourite time of the day is picking up the kids from school. This week, my teacher and I had to leave the center at 2:55 to pick up the kindergartens from afternoon school. It was so nice to get some fresh air.

I admit, I already have favourites. I know I'm not supposed to but it's so hard not to. Especially when I picked them up from school on Wednesday and one of the kids ran over to me and gave me a huge hug. Melt my heart.

I like my hours too. On Tuesdays, my shift is always 9am-5pm as I work and Wednesdays whatever hours my field teacher that I shadow has, those are my hours too. Sometimes I might be on the 7am-3pm or 8:30-4:30pm shift.

My breaks are sweet too. An hour for lunch and two 15 minute breaks!

I have a good feeling that I'm going to love working at this center! Can't wait to go back :)
Happy Tuesday

Photobucket

1 comment:

The Life of Susan said...

oh that is my favorite age group! that's the age group i teach at church and they are so fun because you can be so silly and goofy and no one cares. lol