Monday, January 9, 2012

Grateful

Pinned Image


I finally jumped on bandwagon and  bought One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp that many bloggers have and are reading. I honestly don't know why I just got the book now. This book is hands down the best book I've read in a long time. Words can not express how good it is.

In the book, Ann talks about how she wrote down 1000 blessings or things she was grateful for. Things ranging from the EMS (911) call when her son was badly to fresh laundry.

She wanted to find Amazing Grace wherever and whenever she could. Things to be happy about, things to praise God about. That's what I am longing for.

For me, it's so easy to find things to complain about. And since I have twitter, with a click (or a tap on the iphone) I can send out a negative message about how the kitchen is a mess and yet the kitchen cleaner-uppers are watching tv.

And that's a pet peeve of mine, sending out negative messages because our negative attitudes affect others. It's a horrible cycle.

Do I still get ticked at stuff? Heck to the yes. But I want to look for the good in this world.
I was reading one Sunday afternoon and it dawned on me to start doing the same as Ann. To keep a journal of things I am thankful for and blessings God passes down. I decided right there and then that every night before bed I would write down at least one thing I was thankful for during that day. So for the next year, the next 366 days I will find one thing to be thankful and happy about. It could range from silly stuff to serious stuff, so get ready.

And because I love blogging and y'all, I thought every Monday I would share my list from the past week.
Here we go.

Sunday Jan 1: Seeing a young teen being Baptized at church.
Monday Jan 2: Strong legs to carry me when I run
Tuesday Jan 3: parents who encourage me
Wednesday Jan 4: my job, bathing suits that are much looser on me
Thursday Jan 5: cat snuggles
Friday Jan 6: warm days for good runs
Saturday Jan 7: finding out that a blog who I "unfollowed" is pregnant after years of infidelity and a failed adoption. God is good.
Sunday Jan 8: being 0.6 away from losing 10% of my weight!

Photobucket

2 comments:

J said...

It sounds like I need to pick up this book asap! Everyone is raving about it !!! Happy monday :)

Meg said...

Being grateful is so important, I love that you are doing this. Congrats to the blog people you used to follow, very exciting for them!

Keep up being grateful!