Thursday, June 20, 2013

Communicating, that great relationship downfall for me.


The other day I was reading a blog post of the sweetest girl ever. Basically the post was about how getting married made her realize or open up her eyes to her evil ways. I thought "no way, she's so sweet."

That's what I get a lot. Those comment along the lines of "you're always so happy." Or "thanks for being a great friend." But the truth is, I'm not. I'm not always happy and I'm not always the nicest person. Just ask my boyfriend.

Boy, has being in a relationship that is almost a year old made me wake up and see that I'm an ugly person on the inside. I have a temper (thanks mom), I bottle things up and as much as I love talking, I'm a horrible communicator. Especially with Alex. 

Not getting into any details, I wrote a note to Alex yesterday after we got into an argument because my anger came out of no where. I told him that my 1st thought in the morning will not be to check instagram but to pray that I will be the best girlfriend ever that day. Who will show him love every hour of the day and be mindful of communicating. To also not get into my head by thinking the worst, but that's a post for another day.

I ended the note by saying that I truly want to be quick to listen, slow to speak (interrupting) and ssssllloooowww to anger. Really slow.

And most importantly, fight with love in our hearts.

~

Let's get real here. Tell me, what is your best secret to dealing with conflicts in a relationship? 

No comments: