Tuesday, February 25, 2014

My excitement about granola


Since adapting Paleo eating, the #1 thing I've really missed is granola. I used to love putting some on top of yogurt or just eat alone so when I learned regular granola is a no-no, you sure bet I missed it. 

But...yes it gets better. I can across this recipe last week and got a lump in my throat. Well maybe not like that but I sure was happy and excited to make some granola. 

Ingredients:
  • 2 cups whole or halved nuts of choice (I used walnuts and almonds)
  • 1 cup slivered or sliced almonds
  • 1/2 cup seeds of choice (I used sunflower)
  • 1/2 cup almond meal
  • 1/2 shredded coconut
  • 1 handful cranberries
  • 1-2 bananas
  • 1 egg
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 2 tsp coconut oil
  • 2 heaping tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp nutmeg
  • 1/4 tsp sea salt
Directions:
  1. Preheat the oven to 350
  2. In a food processor (or blender), pulse the whole or halved nuts until they’re partially ground and partially still in small chunks.
  3. Pour the nuts into a large mixing bowl, then stir in the slivered almonds, seeds, almond meal, coconut and cranberries.
  4. Place the bananas, egg, vanilla, coconut oil, cinnamon, nutmeg, and sea salt into the food processor and process for about 10-15 seconds until all the ingredients are puréed.
  5. Pour the banana mixture into the dry mixture and stir until well coated.
  6. Pour the nut mixture onto a parchment paper–lined baking sheet.
  7. Bake in the oven for about 30 to 40 minutes, checking every 10 minutes and turning the chunks of granola with a large spoon to break up the very large pieces.
  8. Remove from the oven and let cool, uncovered.
  9. Store in the refrigerator.
I added a few handfuls to some almond milk for breakfast this weekend and 100% satisfied my craving for cereal-y foods. Perfect. 

No comments: